See Our San Antonio Optometry Team If You're Struggling With Dry Eye Symptoms
So many of our patients at Vision Source Castle Hills comes to us complaining of dry eye symptoms. Our San Antonio optometry staff is happy to answer your questions about this wide-ranging condition affecting an estimated 4.8 million Americans.
Causes of Dry Eye
Every time you blink, a layer of tears washes over the outer surface of your eyes. The tear film is essential for providing moisture and protection to the delicate ocular surface. With dry eye syndrome, something causes this tear film to become low in quality or low in quantity, or both.
Why does this happen? Advancing age and hormonal changes (especially in women) are two common reasons. Other causes and risk factors include:
- Weather (e.g., dry cold air or wind)
- Exposure to environmental irritants or allergens, such as pollen, dust, pet dander, cigarette smoke, motor vehicle exhaust, and cosmetics
- Side effect of certain medications
- Wearing contact lenses for too long
- Staring at a computer screen for too long
- Eye surgery, injury, or infection
- An underlying health condition disrupting tear production, including lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjoren's syndrome, and Meibomian gland dysfunction
Symptoms of Dry Eye Syndrome
Dry eye symptoms include:
- Red, itchy, irritated, and dry eyes
- The feeling of sand or grit in the eyes
- Blurry vision
- Increased sensitivity to bright lights
- Excessive, compensatory watery discharge
How Our San Antonio Optometrist Manages Dry Eye
We don't advise you to just buy over-the-counter artificial tears and hope your symptoms go away. Our San Antonio optometrist can run lab tests and evaluate your medical history and eye anatomy to accurately diagnose your condition. Based on his findings, he can implement the right plan of care, with interventions such as:
- Hard-to-fit contact lenses
- Medications (oral or eye drop) that reduce inflammation and restore moisture to the eyes
- Peri-operative care for tear duct plugging and other interventions
- Lifestyle and nutritional recommendations
Do You Need Relief From Dry Eyes?
Contact Vision Source Castle Hills in Antonio TX at 210-988-9517 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Raul Trevino.