Find a Family Eye Doctor in San Antonio
It's important to make sure your child receives the best eye and vision care possible. You'll want to find a family eye doctor that has experience working with both adults and children. At Vision Source Castle Hills in San Antonio, we provide full service eye and vision care for children. There are several ways you can protect your child's vision.
How to Protect Your Child's Vision
There are several steps you can take to keep your child's eyes safe and healthy.
- Encourage Outdoor Play - Vision specialists state that wider horizons and natural light promote healthy eye development.
- Know Your Family History - Many eye conditions are passed down genetically.
- Promote Healthy Eating - Healthy foods that are rich in vitamins A, E, and C are crucial for eye and vision development.
- Provide Protective Eyewear - Protect your child's eyes with sunglasses when in the sun and protective eyewear when playing sports.
- Schedule Regular Eye Examinations - It's important to have regular exams to track eye changes and vision development.
Eye Conditions That May Require a Family Eye Doctor
There are different types of eye conditions that children often have.
- Lazy Eye - Also called Amblyopia, this is when one eye does not develop normally and vision is affected.
- Excessive Tearing - Excessive tearing is called Epiphora.
- Conjunctivitis - This is also known as pink eye. It can be caused from allergies, viruses, or bacteria.
- Chalazion - This is when a blocked gland on the eyelid forms a solid, painless bump.
- Cellulitis - This is a painful condition that often causes swelling and sometimes blurred vision. It can be caused by injury or infection.
Symptoms to Watch for
Whether it's a sign of a serious eye condition or something that will improve as your child's eyes develop, there are several symptoms a parent will want to watch for. You'll want to make an appointment with a family eye doctor if you notice any of the following symptoms in your child:
- Excessive Tearing
- Drooping Eyelids
- Eyes that Don't Move Well Together
- High Sensitivity to Light
- Holding Books/Screens at a Close Range
What to Look for in a Family Eye Doctor
Considering how important your child's eyesight is, it's important to find an optometrist with the right kind of experience. At Vision Source Castle Hills in San Antonio, we offer expert eye care for both adults and children. With 30 years of experience, our optometrist provides eye exams and treatment for a variety of eye conditions. Contact us at Vision Source Castle Hills in San Antonio to schedule an appointment.